Monday 6 August 2012

In all seriousness..

I can't pretend my kids don't drive me mad at times. This last week with The Daughter has been exhausting; she's acted like a five year old teenager and has reduced me to tears of frustration more than once. At the swimming baths today both her and The Boychild stood in the changing rooms reaching up to grab at my chest and were gleefully shouting "Boobies! Boobies!" for all to hear. That was after The Boychild had pooed in his swim nappy (for those not in the know, swim nappies are not really meant for a full-sized turd) and spent the entire time shrieking in terror. I'm not a perfect mother, nor do I claim to have a happy family 100% of the time. Families have rough patches, just like any relationship, but it's about hanging in there and gritting your teeth when you feel like you're banging your head against a brick wall. I read something today that puts all of the tantrums and trials into perspective; that Gary and Dawn Barlow's baby was stillborn a few days ago. I've not escaped loss myself, having lost my sister at a young age and having had several miscarriages, but to spend nine months carrying a child and all that that entails - as soon as you find out there is life inside you, you can't help but shape your whole future around it - and then to have it snatched away? Well, it's unimaginable. So when your little cherubs are driving you to the brink, take a step back and remember that every minute with them is precious; even the times that make you furious are proof of how much you love them.

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful post, and a reminder to us all how precious our little rapscallions are. Love your blog, by the way.

    ReplyDelete